Peopleton Church - About Us
The parish of Peopleton lies between the twin streams of Bow Brook to the west and Piddle Brook to the east. To the north is a range of low hills dominated by the tower at Upton Snodsbury. To the south lies flat land which is often liable to flooding. The name of the village of Peopleton has been spelt in various ways over time. Piplintone [10th cent.], Pipplenton [12th cent.], Puplintone [13th cent.], Pepylton [15th cent.] and Puplington, [16th cent.] Fourteen other variants exist! The name derived from ‘Pyppel’s Farm’ or even Pepol meaning gravel and it has Saxon origins.
The village itself lies on a road winding from north to south with several attractive houses along the way. The Crown public house, The Pantry (a community shop and post office), St Nicholas parish church and a former school, now converted to a house can all be seen from the main road. Bowbrook House private school is set back behind the Church. Peopleton village hall is to the north of the village and is host to numerous events. Leading off to the east of the main road is a modern housing development.
St Nicholas Church, Peopleton - short history
There was no church listed in Peopleton in the Domesday Survey of 1087. However it is recorded that in 1086 the village belonged to the Abbot of Westminster and he may have had a church built at this time. The earliest parts of the church now intact are 12th or 13th century, the chancel being newer than the nave. The walls are of lias clay with sandstone window dressings. The font is from 14th – 15th century and was moved from under the tower to be situated by the north door in 2013. The communion rails date from about 1640. All the roofs are of the wagon-type in the past being plastered, although the plaster was removed in 1908. The rood beam is the church’s main treasure being beautifully carved with trailing vine leaves and grapes and now positioned at the rear of the nave.
There are three old bells in the tower at the west of the church: the Tenor dated 1631, the Treble dated 1758, and a third bell undated. They were all made by Rudhall of Gloucester. The Registers date from 1632, with earlier years being incomplete. The monuments in the church are mainly from the Dineley family, who held the manor from 1682 to the middle of the 19th century. An early 19th century wooden bell tower, shown by the drawings of Peter Prattinton in 1815 to 1825, was quite a tall and quaint structure. The brick replacement was built in 1845.
Lady Caroline Norton of Bowbrook House undertook considerable renovation work including the construction of the vestry in 1908. A fine chamber organ made by Johannes Lincoln of London in 1806 was restored by Trevor Tipple of Worcester and installed in 1989. Between 2009 and 2017 the north roof, tower, vestry roof and the walls were repaired and restored by the Friends of St Nicholas Church. A toilet was built in the churchyard in 2011.
St Nicholas Church is now a grade II* listed building and the churchyard is a conservation area. They are well kept by the Parochial Church Council with help from the Friends of St Nicholas Church and we hope you will take pleasure in visiting this lovely church.
Reverend Gary Noyes, Priest in Charge
Gary and his wife April have been involved in Christian ministry for thirty years, in various places. They have five adult sons, two dogs, (a springer spaniel and a jack russell.) They are also the custodians of a few moorhens on their pond! Gary enjoys walking, gardening, sketching, the countryside and music.
He can be contacted by e-mail or telephone at email@example.com or on 01905 841563.
Reverend Sarah Dangerfield, Associate Priest
Sarah is originally from West Sussex, moving to Gloucestershire in 1993 to further her career in business banking – a career she enjoyed until 2009. Following this move she became an Ordinand at Ripon College, Cuddesdon. Sarah’s interests include gardening and walking.
She can be contacted by e-mail or telephone at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01386 861669.
Reverend Emma Goldby, Associate Priest
Emma was licensed in the Church of St Edmund King & Martyr Stoulton as Curate-in-Charge of this church with St Barnabas Drakes Broughton and St Peter Pirton. Emma enjoys walking her dog Bertie, playing computer games and railway modelling.
She can be contacted by e-mail or telephone at email@example.com or on 01905 840752.
Churchwarden – Shirley Clay 01905 841991
Churchwarden – Sue Dunne 01905 840037
Richard Baldwin – Treasurer 01905 840267
Libby Pike – Secretary of the PCC
The Parochial Church Council [PCC] is the governing body of St Nicholas Church, Peopleton. It is also a charity and must comply with all charity laws. The PCC is a team made up of members of clergy and lay members of the church. Together they are responsible for the overall wellbeing of the church, its church members, and the church buildings. The PCC also has a duty to promote the mission of the church within the wider community.
Membership of the Parochial Church Council (PCC):
Reverend Gary Noyes – Priest in Charge
Mrs. Shirley Clay and Mrs. Sue Dunne- Churchwardens
Mrs. Sue Dunne – Vice Chairman
Shirley Clay – Safeguarding officer for Peopleton
Mr. Richard E Baldwin, Treasurer
Mrs. Samantha Lole
Mrs. Gill Creed, Deanery Synod Representative
Mrs. Caroline Jones
Mr. Bill Jones
Mrs. Carole Ellsmore
Mrs. Julia Dale
Mrs. Claire Billington
Carole Oliver is the church administrator and can be contacted on 01386 860389 firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no car park at St Nicholas Church. On street parking is available, however we have to be considerate of local residents when parking.
Facilities for people with disabilities
The church has a hearing induction loop for those who are hearing impaired. The main church door is wheelchair accessible and space can be made in the aisles for wheelchair users. Additional facilities for those with a disability can be provided upon request.
The toilet in the church grounds is unisex, accessible for wheelchair users and provides changing facilities for parents with babies and children.
Facilities for families with children
Families with children are very welcome at our services. The church is equipped with books and toys that are available for people to use to occupy their little ones. Children playing and making a noise is accepted. Pushchairs can be left near to the side pews or at the back of the church.
Access to the Church when locked
The Church is open from 9am until 4pm. If you would like access outside of these hours, please contact the Reverend Gary Noyes on 01905 841563 or the Churchwardens on 01905 841991 or 01905 840037 to discuss.